Hi Fitfam! I am going to start answering your questions in blog posts, vs the random Facebook message or Instagram comment. You guys ask amazing questions that I am excited to help with! Feel free to leave questions in the comments section that I will address in future posts. Here we go...
3 years into this journey and the most frequent question I get is...”what do you eat?” Well, let me tell you. Figuring this out has not been an easy task. I’ve figured out what works, what doesn’t work, what I’m obsessed with – and what I can’t stand. For example, I can't eat another sweet potato again from over-eating it, haha!
As I’ve said before, I am not a registered dietician or nutritionist. Everything I write here is my own opinion and from my own experience. I’ve done my fair share of research, and I am here to share results that will hopefully assist all of you in your journey to weight loss or wellbeing – whatever it may be!
In order to be successful, meal prep is absolutely key. I cannot function without a Sunday filled with grocery shopping and lunch/dinner preparations for Monday-Friday. Since I maintain a healthy lifestyle, I like to give myself weekends to fly by the seat of the pants in terms of meals, but I always keep it healthy, with the exception of a #treatyoself moment, which is necessary to stay sane.
The hardest part is figuring out what to eat, so I’ve laid it out for you! If you can’t eat the same thing for 5 days in a row, then only prep for 2-3 and reassess. I am also a big supporter of shakes for breakfast. If your schedule is similar to mine, I'm usually running to work after my workout and don’t have time to cook breakfast. If you do have the time, then go for it! I’ve provided alternatives below. As always, PORTIONS are important and a major player in the nutrition game.
After you have mastered the basic of meal prep and feel like you can spice it up - go for it! The options are endless. Think buffalo chicken breasts in the crockpot to make lettuce wraps, cauliflower dough pizza, and more! Remember to look AHEAD to sucess. You can always control your future -- not your past!
Any questions? Just ask! E-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org xxRachel
Sweatandheels Sample Menu
Breakfast (pick one):
- 1 shake blended with water + ice or almond milk. Use preferred brand of shake, I use Isagenix or Advocare depending on what I have.
- 1 cup cooked oatmeal topped with cinnamon, handful of berries, and a source of protein of your choice such as walnuts or 1-2 hard boiled eggs
Morning Snack (pick one):
- 1 banana or 1 apple with 2 tbsp. of almond butter
- 1 veggie of choice (carrots, celery, peppers) with 2 tbsp. hummus
Lunch (pick one):
- 1 turkey burger with ¼ cup quinoa and roasted zucchini
- Green salad with tomatoes and cucumbers topped with 4 oz. of canned tuna (prepared without mayo, but mustard), dressing can be EVOO and lemon juice
- 1 cup veggie chili with ¼ of an avocado
Mid-day Snack (pick one):
- 1 low fat string cheese and handful of nuts (cashews, almonds, walnuts)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs and 1 cup of strawberries
Dinner (pick one):
- 4-6 oz. baked/grilled chicken with a veggie side such as brussel sprouts or broccoli
- 1 stuffed pepper with ground turkey and ¼ cup of brown rice
- Chicken lettuce wraps
- **If you are going out to eat, that is ok. Don't be afraid to alter menu items to your liking. You can ask how things are cooked, if you can have dressing on the side, or for substitutions. If you care about your goals, you will speak up and make it happen.
*I try to stop eating after dinner, but if you need something, try the below!)
- 1 cup fruit of choice (raspberries, blueberries, watermelon)